Children's Aid Society Highlighted by Villanova Grad Students

on 29 August 2016

 

This article was published August 29, 2016 on philly.com.

"City of Children: Rescuing Children in Turn of the Century Philadelphia," compiled by six graduate students supervised by history professor Judith Giesberg, includes biographies of 10 waifs who came under the care of the Children's Aid Society (CAS) between 1883 and 1904.

Through its history, CAS helped pass legislation outlawing the placement of children in the same institutions as adults, and helped pioneer training for area social workers.

Along the way, it merged with other children's aid groups, including the Philadelphia Home for Infants, and grew through the formation of county chapters throughout the state.

In 2008, the agency joined the Philadelphia Society for Services to Children to form Turning Points for Children, near 15th and Lombard Streets, which provides social services to 9,000 men, women and children.

Read the complete article on philly.com.